BASE OF PREFERENCE (BoP)- BoP is accomplished via vMPF; however, the below information is intended to assist Airmen and supervisors in understanding the base of preference program for Reg AF.
Note: This site is not all encompassing. Please review myPers and vMPF for most current guidance and regulations.
The Career Airmen (Airmen on their second or subsequent enlistment) BOP program has been DISCONTINUED. This includes all aspects of the Career Airman BOP Program to include 4-year Code 50 and any In-Place actions.
The First Term Airmen (FTA) BOP program is a reenlistment incentive under the Career Airmen Reenlistment Reservation System (CAREERS) program (AFI 36-2606).
FTA are allowed to apply in conjunction with reenlistment and retraining for…
- a Continental United States (CONUS)-to-CONUS PCS BOP
- an Overseas (OS)-to-CONUS PCS BOP
- an In-Place (IP) BOP to remain at current location
FTA in the CONUS may apply for a CONUS-to-CONUS BOP and an In-Place BOP at the same time.
Preferences are considered in the exact order listed.
Manning at current location is not a factor; however, manning at requested location must remain below the CONUS average for the Airman’s career field upon arrival.
CONUS-TO-CONUS – Apply at 8-mo TOS
OS-to-CONUS – Apply during DEROS forecast cycle
IP – No TOS minimum
- Never applied for FTA BOP and enlistment category “1”
- Selected under Selective Reenlistment Program (SRP)
- Approved Career Job Reservation (CJR)
- Must reenlist within 30 days of BOP acknowledgement
- Selected for assignment
- Holds Assignment Selection Date (ASD)
- Assignment Availability Code of 05, 08, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 25, 27, or 37
- Assignment Limitation Code of L, 2, or 8
- Currently serving under approved BOP or IP BOP
CONUS-to-CONUS PCS – May be considered regardless of OS vulnerability or stabilized tour status and Airman with CONUS/OS imbalanced AFSC may apply
OS-to-CONUS PCS – PCS is upon completion of OS tour (DEROS)
IP – Airman lists only their current base as the requested BOP location and same considerations as CONUS-to-CONUS
- Request BOP consideration at same time they apply for CJR and retraining
- BOP consideration is in the expected retrain AFSC
- OS BOP will PCS at completion of OS tour
- Action on an Airman’s request will vary depending on preferences stated and whether retraining is accomplished by TDY or PCS
Must reenlist (not extend) to obtain retainability – request BOP before reenlisting
vMPF – Login
Self-Service Actions – Click on link
Assignments – Click on link
Base of Preference Application – Click on link
Complete step-by-step process
FTA applications are reviewed monthly – If you have not heard anything after 60 days request status from MPF