Thinking of going Guard or Reserve? Talk to Warren's in-service recruiter

  • Published
  • By Senior Airman Mike Tryon
  • 90th Missile Wing Public Affairs
In today's economic times, members of the Mighty Ninety may wish to Palace Chase or Palace Front into the National Guard or Reserves.

Warren's in-service recruiter, Master Sgt. Bradley Grimmett, is the person to talk with to initiate that process.

The Palace Chase program is an early-release program allowing active-duty members to request a transfer from active service into an Air Reserve Component at a one-for-two year commitment for enlisted personnel and a one-for-three year commitment for officers.

"What the one-for-two year, or one-for-three year, commitment means, is if you have two, or three years left on your active-duty contract as either an enlisted member or officer and you wish to Palace Chase, then your Air Reserve Component commitment would be for four or six years," Grimmett said.

The Palace Front program allows active-duty members to transfer into the Guard or Reserve at the end of their active-duty commitments, he added. This is done normally after members reach their date of separation.

"Either option takes time to come to fruition," Grimmett said. "Everyone has a different set of circumstances, which is why I work on a one-on-one basis. If you're thinking about a Palace Chase or Front, then you should come talk to me at least six months prior to completing the process."

A Reserve commitment consists of one weekend a month, plus two weeks a year, and at least 39 days of service per year in most cases; however, Reservists are able to request to work more, he added. Members in the Reserves are paid by the Department of Defense while performing their duties.

Guardsmen fulfill a different role, and whether they are paid by the state or the Department of Defense is dependent on the need, explained Capt. Cody Hawkins, a former Guardsman and current Reservist assigned to the 90th Missile Wing Public Affairs office.

"The Guard has two missions, the state and federal," Hawkins continued. "If you're filling a military role at the request or requirement of the state's governor, then you're most likely paid by the state. However, if you're needed to fill more of a federal position, such as a deployment, then you're most likely paid by the federal government."

As with many things in the military, there are eligibility requirements to Palace Chase or Front into either the Guard or Reserve. Some of those requirements include the requesting member not being on a profile, having a current physical health assessment, passing fitness scores, and preferably not having any derogatory marks on file, such as being on a control roster, having an Article 15 or having an Unfavorable Information File.

For more information about joining the Guard or Reserve, schedule an appointment with Grimmett by emailing him at or call 773-1983.